Government Information Request Transparency Report
As part of our ongoing mission to foster, support and incubate a sustainable and vibrant free press, the Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corporation publishes transparency reports discussing any government demands/requests we receive for user information, how we respond to those requests, and what we do to protect our users’ privacy rights.
As of 1 January 2016:
- Zero (0) warrants have ever been served to the 4E, or 4E principals or employees;
- Zero (0) searches or seizures of any kind;
- Zero (0) National Security Letters;
- Zero (0) Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court orders;
- Zero (0) gag orders that prevent us from from stating that we have received legal process seeking information.
Access to and use of the site and the services
If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the Site or Service.
Collection of personal information
Change or update registration data
You may request a change to or update the Registration Data you provide 4E by changing your profile in the “Account Settings” section of the Site. It is your responsibility to maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
Use of personal information
Any personal information or content that you voluntarily disclose online (on discussion boards, in messages and chat areas, within your public profile page, etc.) may become publicly available and may be collected and used by others. Your name (not your email address) may be displayed to other Users when you upload content or send messages through the Site. Any content that you submit to the Site may be redistributed through the Internet and other media channels, and may be viewed by the general public.
Disclosure of personal information
Except as expressly provided herein, absent your prior consent, 4E does not share your personal information with any unrelated third parties. Additionally, 4E does not permit unrelated third parties to perform “reverse searches” whereby they could identify users from email addresses. In addition, the following describes some of the ways that your personal information may be disclosed in the normal scope of business to provide you with the Services:
- Profile. 4E may post certain information as a part of your User Profile, which will be viewable by other Users and visitors to the site, including but not limited to your name, social media profiles and location. 4E will not disclose your home address, phone number, or email address in connection with your User Profile.
- Advertisers. 4E may aggregate personal information and disclose such information in a non-personally identifiable manner to advertisers and other third parties for their marketing and promotional purposes. However, in these situations, 4E does not disclose to these entities any information that could be used to identify you personally without your explicit consent.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, 4E reserves the right, and you authorize 4E, to share or disclose your personal information, including, without limitation, any content, records or electronic communications of any kind, when 4E determines, in its sole discretion, that the disclosure of your personally identifiable information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against you if:
- you are interfering with 4E’s or a third party’s rights or property;
- you are violating any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- necessary or required by any applicable law, rule or regulation; and/or
- requested by and accompanied by a valid court order, governmental authorities in the event of any investigation, act of terrorism or instance of local, regional or national emergency.
In the event of a merger, acquisition, sale of substantially all of its assets or change of control of 4E, personal information collected by 4E about you will be considered a business asset and will be transferred to the applicable new entity.
4E maintains a strict “no-spam” policy. If you register for the Service, you may receive 4E’s newsletter, notices and/or special offers via email, unless you have requested otherwise at the time of registration or as set forth below.
You may unsubscribe from 4E’s electronic newsletters, notices and/or special offers at any time by following the instructions contained at the end of every such email, or if a third-party vendor provides 4E’s newsletter, in accordance with the instructions provided by such third party. While all efforts are made to insure this information is viewable in all email browsers, there may be cases where certain email browsers do not display the unsubscribe information correctly.
“Cookies” are alphanumeric identifiers in the form of text files that are inserted and stored by your web browser on your computer’s hard drive. 4E and third party advertisers may set and access cookies on your computer to track and store preferential information about you. 4E and third party advertisers gather anonymous information about their users through cookie technology on an aggregate level only. Such aggregated information is used within 4E’s internal organization and is only shared with third party advertisers on an aggregated and non-personally identifiable basis.
Web Beacons, also known as pixel tags and clear GIFs, (“Web Beacons”), are electronic images that allow a website to access cookies and help track marketing campaigns and general usage patterns of visitors to those websites. Web Beacons can recognize certain types of information, such as cookie numbers, time and date of a page view and a description of the page where the Web Beacons are placed. No personally identifiable information about you is shared with third parties through the use of Web Beacons on the Site. However, through Web Beacons, we may collect general information that will not personally identify you, such as: Internet browser, operating system, IP address, date of visit, time of visit and path taken through the Site.
- Internal use of Web Beacons. 4E may use Web Beacons internally to count visitors and recognize visitors through cookies. Access to cookies helps 4E personalize your experience when you visit the Site.
- Email. 4E may include Web Beacons in HTML-formatted email messages that 4E sends to you. Web Beacons in email messages help 4E determine your interest in and the effectiveness of such emails.
- External use of Web Beacons. 4E may also use Web Beacons externally. For example, 4E may report aggregate information about visitors, such as demographic and usage information, to its affiliates and other third parties. 4E may also include other company’s Web Beacons within the Site.
Personal information you submit to 4E is password protected for your privacy and security. In the unlikely event that an unauthorized third party compromises 4E’s security measures, 4E will not be responsible for any damages directly or indirectly caused by an unauthorized third party’s ability to view, use or disseminate such information.
Links to third parties
Transmissions, submissions and postings
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, 4E does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information or non-personally-identifiable information on the Site from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of our Site is directed to persons under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the Site at any time or in any manner. If 4E learns that personally identifiable information of persons under 13 years of age has been collected on the Site without verified parental consent, then 4E will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
Special note to international users
In the event of merger, sale, or bankruptcy
In the event that 4E is acquired by or merged with a third party entity, or sells all or substantially all of its assets, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information and content we have received and collected from our Users and Members as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used.
Questions or concerns
Fourth Estate Legal Department
261 NE 1st Street, 5th Floor
Miami FL 33132